A few lessons coaching taught me about being a parent and a leader…
I was a single parent when I became a coach.
I had just re-evaluated where I was in my career, and decided I needed a change.
When I discovered this profession called coaching, I was intrigued and soon learned how closely it aligned with my own personal mission of equipping and empowering people to reach their full potential.
So, I invested to become a coach!
What I didn’t realize at the time, and what I DO realize now, is how much coaching would teach me about being a leader AND parent!
In fact, I’m convinced I would not have been the same parent during my kids’ teen years had I not practiced the principles of coaching.
Here are a few lessons I’ve learned…
– Listening is the greatest gift we can give another person—be it our children or our team.
– Listen deeper—not just to hear the words people say, but also the way they say them, their body language, the shifts in their energy. Really, really listen to people.
– Be fully present—put down your phone, push the keyboard aside, close out of your email and ‘demonstrate’ that the person in front of you truly matters.
– Judgment-free awareness is a powerful tool for effective communication—this is the art of choosing curiosity instead of making assumptions or rash judgments.
– Sometimes, behavior can be loud and in-your-face (whether it’s your team or your teen 🙂), yet there’s often more going on than just the behavior. Address the root cause of the behavior—the thinking patterns and what’s really going on under the hood—instead of reacting (or over-reacting as we often do).
These are just a few examples. There are many more ways that coaching can transform the way we lead and show up for the people in our lives and work.
This is why I’m so passionate about helping leaders learn the ‘coach approach’ – so they can move from being a “BOSS” to being a “COACH.”
I’ve seen incredible, breakthrough results when leaders shift the way they lead by using the same principles and lessons that coaching taught me.
If you’re interested in learning more about The Coach Approach to Leadership, a program we offer to companies who are looking to transform their culture and the way their leaders lead, contact me. I’d love to chat with you!